Online Class Training Materials
Welcome to the “class assignments” page! Select your class to view the relevant class assignment and worksheet materials.
How To Grow Your Company or Small Business Profitably
Assignment: Practical application of the principles to a real-world scenario. Respond in writing to the following prompts.
Use the blank worksheet for your answers. Refer to the sample completed worksheet for reference.
- Using the principles and definitions learned in this class, what are some ways that your business could grow profitably using the following approaches? (give at least one example of each approach)
- Given your business context, which of these strategies would you choose if you could only implement one?
- Is there a way you might integrate both of these approaches to create a more holistic growth strategy?
- Would either of these approaches NOT be a good fit for your business model? Why?
- What is an action step you can implement today to move your company towards profitable growth?
Note: Students are encouraged to use the context of their own company for this exercise, however if you do not have your own business or work in a role related to this area, you can instead use a real-world business that you are familiar with, or create your own fictional case study example for the purposes of the exercise.
From Solopreneur to Team Leader: Using Process Storytelling to Delegate Effectively
Using the examples in the class and in the attached template for reference, capture and visualize one of your own business’s processes using the ‘5 W’s’ and the Cavi Mapping Language.
- Start by gathering the information needed and interviewing the person or people who currently perform(s) the process (if this person is you, start by writing out your answers to the 5 Ws, or you can record yourself describing the process in terms of the 5 Ws and use that as the ‘interview’ notes).
- Using your interview notes, visualize the full process on a single page using the Cavi Mapping Language. If there is too much information to fit on a single page, you may need to add “detail layers”. How much detail you include is up to you, but the goal should be that someone else can look at your process map and understand how to complete the process.
Defining Business Value: How to Identify and Measure Your Value Proposition
Assignment: Use the attached worksheet to note your responses to the class exercises, and then apply what you’ve learned to craft a unique value proposition statement for your business.
This worksheet enables you to keep track of your progress and notes through each stage of the value proposition creation process, including:
- how you would apply the value equation to your own business
- documenting the results of your research, analysis and validation exercises
- using the value statement formula to develop your very own business value statement
Once you have a value statement, you can use this in all sorts of ways, including:
- clearly and concisely explaining what your business does and why it matters with your employees and customers
- developing your elevator pitch for potential investors and/or business partners
- creating clear messaging and copy for your website and other marketing channels
- developing additional product offerings or iterating your existing offerings to better serve your customers